This is a technical leadership position within the HBS organization responsible for architecting and developing solutions for HBS' customers and mentoring a team of business intelligence (BI) and SQL Server software engineers. A successful candidate will be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment, ability and desire to lead and mentor others, possess a strong technical background in developing and delivering enterprise BI solutions, SQL Server enterprise environments and excellent communication skills.
The BI / Data Architect will focus time in multiple areas to ensure an engaged team of productive engineers that deliver quality solutions for our customers, are well cross-trained for supporting the systems and are continually improving and progressing skills in the technologies we deliver.
- Provide mentorship for a team of one (1) to eight (8) BI and SQL engineers that will range in background and experience from junior to senior level.
- Provide technical leadership role in designing solutions for our customers.
- Work with Data Services Technology Manager to determine employee career paths, developmental needs, training plans.
- Mentor other engineers in developing scalable, secure, high-performance BI and Data solutions.
- Estimate development effort required with team members.
- “Hands-on” with the architecture and implementation in the technologies supported with expectation of billing 23-29 hours per week (including pre-sales).
- Assist Data Services Technology Manager on technology direction for team and the organization.
- Provide application support with focus on customer satisfaction and quality.
- Follow Agile development practices for delivering BI and Data solutions.
- Verify quality processes are adhered to including design and code reviews, appropriate unit testing and system testing.
- Presales consulting in order to frame in solution architectures.
- 10-20% travel expected.
- Preferred - Experience with needs analysis, software evaluation and selection, customization, and implementation
- Required - Lead, delegate, and mentor others
- Required - Interact with all levels of employees and management
- Required - Strong written, verbal and non-verbal communication skills, especially conveying complex information in an understandable manner
- Required - Ability to conduct formal and informal presentations in both small and large group settings
- Required - Analyze and resolve complex technical and business problems
- Required - Manage multiple tasks/projects simultaneously
- Preferred - Expertise in Professional Services or similar client facing roles in a client / vendor relationship
- Required - Ability to quickly learn new technologies to deliver solutions
- Required - Produce high quality work deliverables leveraging industry best practices
Skills & Abilities
- Required - 8+ years’ experience developing full life cycle BI / data warehousing solutions, using BI and ETL tools and packages (preferably Microsoft BI suite, Qlik)
- Required - Strong Decision Support / Business Intelligence / Data Warehousing systems & architecture experience in 'real world', practical, successful implementations
- Required - Expertise in ETL, Integration Technologies, Data Marts, OLAP Tools, Reporting Analytics
- Preferred - Understands with ability to mentor on BI tool architecture, functions, and features
- Required - Understands multi-dimensional database structures and schemas
- Preferred - Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Required - Strong knowledge of SQL utilizing MS SQL Server
- Preferred - Experience with Azure including Azure SQL Database, Azure SQL Data Warehouse, Azure Stream Analytics, Big Data (Hadoop or Hive)
- Preferred - Experience with Qlik View, Qlik Sense
- Preferred - Experience in Education and/or Healthcare verticals a strong plus
- Preferred - Microsoft MCSE Business Intelligence
- Preferred - Strong knowledge of system design, development, and deployment using ALM methodologies