The unique Girl Scout experience begins with the values of the Girl Scout Promise and Law. Through the Girl Scout Leadership Experience, girls Discover, Connect, and Take Action, building skills that yield the desired outcomes of courage, confidence, and character. Ultimately, through the Girl Scout Leadership Experience, girls aspire to make the world a better place.
Girl Scouts of Wisconsin Southeast (GSWISE) needed to create a new site that supported and showcased the GSWISE message and brand while engaging site visitors and improving the site functionality and usefulness. The existing tool was restrictive and hard to use so updates were not made regularly to the site. The old site was frustrating to visitors and staff because it was difficult to find information and the site search did not work.
The site had to support the GSWISE and Girl Scouts of the USA (GSUSA) program initiatives and provide information on the day-to-day troop operations. There was high competition for promotional places on the homepage since it was difficult to find information within the site. The GSWISE site needed to be an effective resource for a variety of audiences:
- Girl Scout troop leaders and other volunteers
- Parents of Girl Scouts
- Community members and alumnae who are interested in Girl Scouts and provide financial support
- Organizations and businesses who want to use Girl Scout facilities or offer programs for Girl Scout troops
Heartland Business Systems worked with GSWISE to review the content and navigation of the site. Heartland Business Systems conducted a survey of site visitors to identify and prioritize their information needs and gather any suggestions for site improvements. Based on the user feedback, Heartland Business Systems created a new site structure that would make it easier for visitors to find information while promoting the GSWISE brand and message. The Kentico content management system was selected for the site. It provides an easy-to-use interface with flexible levels of control to allow volunteers to enter content for the site that is reviewed by GSWISE staff before it’s published.
Heartland Business Systems created a new, responsive, design for the site that allows it to function well on all screen sizes. The new design is flexible enough to allow GSWISE to promote major programs, such as cookie sales or summer camp, when needed. The design includes several promotional areas on the homepage and interior pages since there are always many different initiatives and programs happening with the Girl Scouts. The built-in Kentico Forum module was used to create a secure portal for GSWISE Board Members to access documents and share ideas.
- The new design and navigation was well received by staff and volunteers.
- Site content is updated frequently and staff has flexibility to include photos, social media feeds, and other content as needed.
- Home page promotion boxes are well used to promote special events and activities.
- GSWISE brand and GSUSA campaigns are easily integrated into the site on the homepage and through promotional areas on interior pages.
Key criteria for choosing Kentico
- Easy-to-use interface with flexible levels of control
- Response design
- Built-in Kentico Forum module
- Kentico Smart Search
- Unlimited number of editors, multiple access levels
- Online survey of site visitors
- Responsive Website Design
- Secure Forum for Board members
- Document Library
- Workflows based on Editors
- Custom .Net Calendar Upload tool